Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fabric Flower Wreath

Welcome to September! It has been a few weeks since I have posted but I have been working like crazy to prepare for the new school year and hopefully I will find the time to post some of the crafty projects that I have been working on soon!

Fabric Flower Wreath for Fall
Since I had so much practice this Summer making the rolled fabric flowers, I decided to make a wreath (one of my favorite gifts) for my parent's front door to welcome Fall! I tried to choose fabrics that coordinated using Earth tones (cream, gold, green, blue and red colors).  There are always so many choices of fabrics and I didn't want the wreath to look too busy so I narrowed my fabric choices to five different patterns.  Remember, the pattern of the fabric isn't as important as the colors.  I usually look for larger print patterns so the pattern won't really matter once the flowers are rolled.  I was able to find all of the materials used at Joann Fabrics .  Joann has a great selection of fabrics and floral accents and usually runs great sale prices and offers a pretty sweet discount for educators:)

Supplies:
Supplies
  • Fabric (I used 5 different patterns, 1/2 yard of each to make approximately 40 fabric flowers) 
  • Fabric glue 
  • Scissors or rotary cutter 
  • Ruler or rotary cutting mat with ruler
  • 16 inch grape vine wreath
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
  • Wooden letter and berry stems (optional) 
  • Acrylic paint and brush (optional)
Step One: Follow my Fabric Flower Tutorial for step-by-step instructions on making the rolled fabric flowers.  Side Note: In all of my practice making these flowers I discovered that instead starting the flower by tightly rolling the fabric 7 to 8 times (as seen in step two) it is much easier to tie a knot at the end of the fabric strip to create the center of the flower and then begin twisting the fabric.  (Please see example below)  I suggest trying both techniques and deciding for yourself which way works best and which flower style you prefer.  I decided I wanted the wreath to be very full so I rolled approximately 40 flowers using every inch of fabric. 
Rolled fabric flowers using knot technique

Step Two: Once all of the flowers were rolled, I used my hot glue gun to secure the small berry branches around the wreath (sorry I forgot to take a picture of this step).  I used five stems and tried to space them evenly along the diameter of the wreath.  I was originally planning on using both the large and small berry accents as pictured however after I got started I decided that the small berry stems were just enough.  Worry not, the large berries will not go to waste! I am sure I will find a creative way to use the stems in the near future..I am thinking to decorate a hurricane candle.

Fabric Flowers
Step Three: Once the berries were in place and secure, I used my hot glue gun to attach the flowers by alternating patterns and sizes.  In the meantime, my sister Gwen painted the wooden G a gold color and once it was dry I attached it to the wreath using my hot glue gun.

My Mom was so excited with how fabulous the wreath turned out and I think it is a beautiful addition to their entryway and a simple way to transition into Fall decor!   It would even be pretty hanging in a bathroom or kitchen and the Earthy colors look great with the fresh mums we planted with the potted spikes and vinca vines hearty and surviving from Summer.  Fall is definitely one of my favorite times of the year and I am looking forward to sharing more crafty Fall projects throughout the season!

Lauren

No comments: