Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Oh Baby! Flannel Burp Cloths Tutorial

Oh Baby! A few of my dear girlfriends are expecting little ones anytime now and since I just got a handy, dandy sewing machine, I thought I would test my new found sewing skills by making some flannel burp cloths that they can use as they are feeding their little bundles:)

Oh Baby! Flannel Burp Cloths
As far as my sewing skills are concerned, I am definitely learning as I am going along.  I took an intro. sewing class that covered the basics. Practice definitely makes perfect so I will most likely be practicing my sewing skills all Winter long! Watch out family and friends, you will probably be receiving some handmade gifts:)  I wish I could say that the burp cloths were my first official sewing project but I made some pillow slip covers last week for my Sister.  It's too bad I didn't snap any photos because the three pillows I made turned out great!

Attached below is the template for these simple to sew burp cloths.  

Flannel Burp Cloth Template 1 of 2 (print/cut 2 copies for end pieces)

Flannel Burp Cloth Template 2 of 2 (print/cut one middle piece)
Supplies (to make a set of 4 burp cloths):
  • Sewing thread (I use 100% polyester thread) 
  • 1 yard of coordinating flannel (1/2 yard of each pattern) 
  • Quilt batting (I use Warm and Natural) 
  • Scissors
  • Straight pins 
  • burp cloth template
I use soft flannel to make my burp cloths.  Using the template,  cut three identical pieces (two pieces from the flannel and one piece from the batting.
Cut 3 pieces from burp cloth template
Layer the two flannel pieces (face to face) and then layer the batting on top. Use straight pins to secure the pieces approximately 1/4 inch from the edge.
Layer flannel pieces face-to-face and then place batting on top
Starting at one of the curved edges, stitch along the pins leaving about a 1/4 inch seam.  It can be very tricky to sew along the curved corners and I find myself stopping my machine and realigning often to be sure the edges are lined up evenly. 
Stitch 3 layers of cloth together along pinned edge
Stitched along the perimeter of the layered cloths (making sure to catch all there layers) until you reach the end of the last curve and stop the stitch leaving approximately a 2 to 3 inch opening. 

Removed the cloth from the machine and turn it inside out so the pattern is now on the outside.  Straight pin in the open edges and return the cloth to the machine to top stitch the remaining cloth closed.  
Turn cloth inside out and top stitch closed

Before gifting, I washed and dried the burp cloths so they would be soft and comfy:)


I tied up each set of burp cloths with a pretty bow and added them to my baby gifts.  My flannel burp cloths are less than perfect but they are very cute and will definitely serve their important purpose of cleaning-up all of the new little ones:)
Flannel Burp Cloths

Flannel Burp Cloths

Lauren

No comments: