Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sweet Baby! Cotton Burp Cloth Tutorial

Sweet Baby! With a few little ones scheduled to arrive any day now, I am a busy bee sewing my little heart out.  I saw a set of these darling burp cloths in a boutique window.  Since these cloths are such an adorably useful gift I decided to try to make a few sets for my soon-to-be Mom friends:)
Sweet Baby Cotton Burp Cloths

Supplies:
  • Cloth diapers (I purchased 6 ply, pre-folded which are absorbent and durable)
  • Cotton fabric 
  • Ribbon
  • Scissors
  • Straight pins
  • Cardboard
  • Iron
  • Spray starch
  • Measuring tape or board
Supplies: cloth diapers, fabric and ribbon
Pre-wash and dry the cloth diapers in order to pre-shrink.  I used my iron to eliminate any wrinkles. 

To create an ironing template, cut out a 4" x 18" cardboard piece from a cardboard box. I used thin cardboard from the top of a shirt box. 

 4 inches wide

18 inches long
Cardboard ironing template (4 "x 18")  

Cut the fabric to fit the width of the center strip of the diaper.  Be sure to measure the fabric pieces to be slightly larger than the cardboard piece with each fabric piece measuring approximately 6" x 19".
Fabric measuring approximately 6 "x 19"
Place the fabric face down with the cardboard piece on top in the middle. Then lightly spray starch along the edges of fabric. Fold the fabric over the edges of the template in order to create a straight edge around the perimeter with the corner pieces tucked in neatly. 

Iron fabric using template

Crisp fabric edges

Remove the template and place the fabric along the center of the cloth with the pattern side up and the edges tucked.  Pin the edges in place. 
Pin fabric in place

Stitch along the edges.  I used a zig-zag stitch with the tension on the machine set at approximately 4, the stitch length set at 2 and the stitch width set at 3.  According to my sewing bible, for a neat zig-zag stitch the tension should be set at 4 or less with a stitch length set at 3 or below.
Zig-zag stitch along pin line

As a finishing touch, measure a coordinating ribbon strip to fit each end of the cloth.  Carefully straight stitch along the edges of the ribbon to secure.

Stitch along edges of ribbon

Ribbon added to edges
 
These burp cloths are such a fun gift and will definitely come in handy for the new Moms!  My sewing skills are less than perfect and I definitely am learning as I am sewing along but my burp cloths turned out so cute and were the perfect addition to my baby gifts:)

Cotton Burp cloths:)

Burp Cloth Sets
Sweet Baby Burp Cloths:)

Lauren

No comments: