Monday, October 8, 2012

Mason Sewing Jar

Mason Jar Sewing Kit
My lovely Parents bought me a sewing machine and sewing lessons for my birthday! What a great gift to receive and I am so excited to become a little sewing machine:) I decided to use a Mason jar that was my Grandmother's to create a small sewing kit.  My pin cushion top sewing kit was simple to make and is the perfect size to store all of my sewing essentials.  My sewing treasure reminds me of my Grandmother each time I see it pleasantly sitting next to my sewing machine.  My Grandma Ma would be so happy to see that I am putting one of her canning jars to good use!

I didn't take any photos while I was making the jar so I will try my best to describe the steps.

Supplies:
  • Mason jar with lid
  • Fabric glue
  • Hot glue
  • Fabric (I used about a quarter of a yard)
  • Cotton Batting
  • Thin cardboard or card stock
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
First, I took the flat metal lid from the rim and used my pencil to trace it onto the cardboard.  Next,  I traced another circle onto my fabric approximately 1 to 1.5 inches larger in diameter than the lid.  I used my scissors to cut out both circles.  Then I took a small handful of batting and I glued it onto the cardboard circle and placed the fabric circle on top, smoothing out the fabric over the batting. Then I applied hot glue to the back of the cardboard piece to secure the edges of the fabric. 

Next, I turned the metal rim upside down and I applied hot glue to the inside of the rim. Quickly I placed the fabric and batting cushion into the center of the rim, making sure it was protruding evenly through the hole and that the cardboard was flush against the inside.  Finally, I used hot glue to attach the flat lid to the cardboard. 

Once the pin cushion lid was complete, I used the remaining fabric to create a few fabric flowers (see my Fabric Flower Tutorial for details).  I used fabric glue to secure the flowers on the top,  adding a charming touch to the pin cushion. 

Pin Cushion Top
Sewing Essentials:
  • Measuring tape
  • Sewing needles
  • All-purpose thread
  • Thimble
  • Extra buttons
  • Safety pins
  • Straight pins  
  • Seam ripper
Mason Jar Sewing Kit

Lauren


1 comment:

Grounded Wife said...

I love this! Such a cute way to store all of those little items.